Many tYPES OF scams tAKE place online because it is easy for the perpetrators to mask IPs, create fake emails, forms and generally hide behind their computer(s) from any place in the world with internet access.
If you are contacted in regard to a job:
NEVER give your SIN number out over the internet.
DO NOT ever provide bank information or credit card information. ASK questions to determine VERIFICATION AND request OFFICIAL Company DOCUMENTATION first.
If you suspect someone is attempting to scam you VIA internet:
1. Stop all responses/contact/communication.
2. Do NOT tell them you know they are a scammer.
(They cut communication fast if they realize they ARE caught)
3. Save copies of emails or correspondence.
4. Contact local law enforcement. (If in Canada call the anti-fraud agency.) File a report.
5. Consider changing passwords and monitoring your online accounts/activity.
Leave your own experiences in the comments below! Did these tips help?